The efficiency and accuracy of data are improved when remote sensing data products and GIS are used. Spatial tools such as the Global Positioning System (GPS), Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS) for storing and analyzing spatial data can help us make better decisions in agriculture, land development, environmental protection and restoration. Specifically this decision making tools can be used in the context of agriculture in assessment of crop area extent, management of water resources, identification of pest attacks and diseases, yield assessment studies, land suitability assessment for agriculture disaster management and precision agriculture.
For optimum utilization of available agricultural land resources on a sustainable basis, timely and reliable information regarding their nature, extent and spatial distribution along with their potential and limitations is very important.
Participants will apply their new skills to one of several case studies in topics on agriculture, pest management, crop monitoring, water resource management and risk assessment among others. This course will offer a mixture of lectures, demonstrations and hands-on exercises using open source GIS and RS software.
Who should apply?
Agricultural experts, soil scientists, Animal Scientists, agronomist, entomologists, ranch managers, farm managers, environmentalist, farmers and students.
No of Days
- Understand Digital Image Processing Techniques in Agriculture Resource Management
- Understand Precision farming using GIS and RS for Crop management
- Understand the basic concepts of GIS and Remote Sensing
- Understand GIS and RS applications in disease/pest management
- Understand various integrations of GIS and RS Agriculture
- Expose participants in GIS and RS applications in Water management in agriculture
- Understand participatory method in agriculture resource management in context of GIS and GIS
- Publish dynamic and interactive agricultural based map in the internet
- Understand how precision farming and how it’s applied in Agriculture
Introduction, key principles and concepts
- Introduction concepts of GIS and remote sensing in Agricultural Resource management
- Planning for a GIS system installation
- Introduction GIS data collection using GPS
- Gathering data using mobile phones using (ODK)
- Integrating GPS data into GIS
- GIS Data sources and types for agriculture
- Working with data from different sources
- Geo database creation and maintenance for agricultural resources
- Attributes manipulation in GIS
- Facilitated practical exercises in working with tabular data in Excel format
Digital Image Processing Techniques in Agriculture Resource Management
- Obtaining satellite imagery for agriculture resource management
- Satellite Image processing and calibration for agricultural resources
- Land use classification using supervised classification
- Land use classification using unsupervised classification
- Accuracy assessment and ground Truthing technique
Agricultural Resource planning and monitoring
- Agro-Ecological zone mapping
- Agricultural resource mapping and updating
- Mapping crop
- Mapping soil Variability
- Mapping condition that affects plant health, yield, or quality of a crop e.g. weed infestation
- Land suitability assessment for agriculture
GIS and RS in Soil management
- Characterizing soil spatial variability
- Site?specific soil management: prescription maps
- Soil Mapping and Capability Assessment
- Mapping Soil Erosion Risk Using Rusle
Case study:GIS and Remote Sensing in Drought Monitoring
Precision farming using GIS and RS for Crop management
- Yield monitoring and mapping
- Grid sampling, management zones
- Crop health analysis using NDVI
- Remote sensing (RS) for precision agriculture
- Crop stress detection
- Crop modeling for yield estimation and production
GIS and RS Water management in agriculture
- Multi criteria analysis in determining potential ground water zones
- Mapping and monitoring irrigated land.
- Flood monitoring
- Hydrological modeling and its application in agriculture
- Statistical analysis procedures on historical series of rainfall data to produce agro climatic classification
- Land suitability assessment for agriculture
GIS AND RS Disease/pest management
- Using remote sensing and GIS to identify breeding areas
- Determining spatial patterns of the disease and pathway
- Crop damage assessment using change detection
- Determine the spatial extent of a disease
- Monitoring weather and ecological conditions favorable for crop pests and disease
Case study:Remote Sensing for grazing management
- Public participation in agricultural resource management
- Using Google earth in agricultural resource management
- Web based Publishing for interactive and dynamic agricultural maps
· All our courses can be Tailor-made to participants' needs
· The participant must be conversant in English
· Presentations are well-guided, practical exercises, web-based tutorials, and group work. Our facilitators are experts with more than 10 years of experience.
· Upon completion of training the participant will be issued with a Foscore development center certificate (FDC-K)
· Training will be done at the Foscore development center (FDC-K) centers. We also offer inhouse and online training on the client schedule
· Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
· The course fee for onsite training includes facilitation training materials, 2 coffee breaks, a buffet lunch, and a Certificate of successful completion of Training. Participants will be responsible for their own travel expenses and arrangements, airport transfers, visa application dinners, health/accident insurance, and other personal expenses.
· Accommodation, pickup, freight booking, and Visa processing arrangement, are done on request, at discounted prices.
· Tablet and Laptops are provided to participants on request as an add-on cost to the training fee.
· One-year free Consultation and Coaching provided after the course.
· Register as a group of more than two and enjoy a discount of (10% to 50%)
· Payment should be done before commence of the training or as agreed by the parties, to the FOSCORE DEVELOPMENT CENTER account, so as to enable us to prepare better for you.
· For any inquiries reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +254712260031
Foscore Development Center |Training Courses | Monitoring and Evaluation|Data Analysis|Market Research |M&E Consultancy |ICT Services |Mobile Data Collection | ODK Course | KoboToolBox | GIS and Environment |Agricultural Services |Business Analytics specializing in short courses in GIS, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), Data Management, Data Analysis, Research, Social Development, Community Development, Finance Management, Finance Analysis, Humanitarian and Agriculture, Mobile data Collection, Mobile data Collection training, Mobile data Collection training Nairobi, Mobile data Collection training Kenya, ODK, ODK training, ODK training Nairobi, ODK training Kenya, Open Data Kit, Open Data Kit training, Open Data Kit Training, capacity building, consultancy and talent development solutions for individuals and organisations, through our highly customised courses and experienced consultants, in a wide array of disciplines
Other Upcoming Online Workshops