Forestry involves the management of a broad range of natural resources within a forested area. We all agree Forestry is complex, dynamic, and multidimensional. GIS technology profoundly and positively impacts the way land managers, timber managers, and forestry specialists manage timber resources. Having accurate geographical information about land is critical to making informed decisions about how to manage it. Digital maps can be linked to relational databases that store baseline data, topography information, site documentation, and aerial digital photography. Designing and implementing a comprehensive GIS plan is the foundation for sound forest management and wildlife management decisions. Additionally, a GIS plan is an integral part of developing a forest management plan.
Who should apply?
People who require additional skills like Forest Planners, foresters, forest conservation technicians.
No prior knowledge of GIS is required
At the end of these sessions participants will learn to:
- Obtain and Integrate data from disparate sources to a GIS System
- Learn the principles of GIS and Remote Sensing and its application in forestry
- Learn how to collect data using mobile phones and GPS in the forestry context
- Learn satellite digital image processing techniques in forest resource management
- Learn how to map forest inventory
- Learn how to handle emergency in the forest context
- Learn how communities can be involved in forest resource management
- Learn how to publish web based map
- Display data in 3D Apply GIS to solve simple practical problems forestry
- Learn forest planning and management skill using remote sensing and GIS
Introduction and definitions of key concepts
- Introduction concepts of GIS and remote sensing in Forest resource management
- Planning for a GIS system installation
- Introduction GIS data collection using GPS
Gathering data using mobile phones using (ODK)
- Integrating GPS data into GIS
- GIS Data sources and types for forestry
- Working with data from different sources
- Geo database creation and maintenance for forest resources
- Attributes manipulation in GIS
- Facilitated practical exercises in working with tabular data in Excel format
Digital Image Processing Techniques in Forest Resource Management
- Obtaining satellite Imagery for forest resource management
- Satellite Image processing and calibration for resource management
- Forest cover classification using supervised classification
- Forest cover classification using unsupervised classification
- Accuracy assessment and ground Truthing technique
- Forest Land use change detection maps
Mapping Forest inventory
- Inventory of Forest Land
- Mapping habitat and Species
- Mapping Forest recreation sites
- Mapping forest vegetation type
- Forestry mapping of plantations and zonal mapping
- Mapping water forest resources
- Carbon mapping techniques
- Endangered species management
Forest Planning and management
- Using GIS and RS in Developing forest plans
- Planning and scheduling of harvesting and planting tree
- Determinations of forest stand conditions and forest health
- Estimation of biomass and productivity
- Environment impact assessment
- Identifying sites for eco-restoration
- Vegetation index analysis
- Monitoring emergencies
- Damage assessment (fire, disease)
- Fire and Emergency Mapping
- Planning of road systems, bridges, water point, and land clearing
Climate Change Impact on Forests
- Remote sensing and GIS for climate change mitigation in forest ecosystems.
- Forest ecosystem monitoring and modeling
- Public participation in forest management
- Using Google earth in forest resource management
- Web based Publishing for interactive and dynamic maps
· All our courses can be Tailor-made to participants' needs
· The participant must be conversant in English
· Presentations are well-guided, practical exercises, web-based tutorials, and group work. Our facilitators are experts with more than 10 years of experience.
· Upon completion of training the participant will be issued with a Foscore development center certificate (FDC-K)
· Training will be done at the Foscore development center (FDC-K) centers. We also offer inhouse and online training on the client schedule
· Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
· The course fee for onsite training includes facilitation training materials, 2 coffee breaks, a buffet lunch, and a Certificate of successful completion of Training. Participants will be responsible for their own travel expenses and arrangements, airport transfers, visa application dinners, health/accident insurance, and other personal expenses.
· Accommodation, pickup, freight booking, and Visa processing arrangement, are done on request, at discounted prices.
· Tablet and Laptops are provided to participants on request as an add-on cost to the training fee.
· One-year free Consultation and Coaching provided after the course.
· Register as a group of more than two and enjoy a discount of (10% to 50%)
· Payment should be done before commence of the training or as agreed by the parties, to the FOSCORE DEVELOPMENT CENTER account, so as to enable us to prepare better for you.
· For any inquiries reach us at email@example.com or +254712260031
Foscore Development Center |Training Courses | Monitoring and Evaluation|Data Analysis|Market Research |M&E Consultancy |ICT Services |Mobile Data Collection | ODK Course | KoboToolBox | GIS and Environment |Agricultural Services |Business Analytics specializing in short courses in GIS, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), Data Management, Data Analysis, Research, Social Development, Community Development, Finance Management, Finance Analysis, Humanitarian and Agriculture, Mobile data Collection, Mobile data Collection training, Mobile data Collection training Nairobi, Mobile data Collection training Kenya, ODK, ODK training, ODK training Nairobi, ODK training Kenya, Open Data Kit, Open Data Kit training, Open Data Kit Training, capacity building, consultancy and talent development solutions for individuals and organisations, through our highly customised courses and experienced consultants, in a wide array of disciplines
Other Upcoming Workshops Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Dubai