2020 Training Calendar
+254 712 260 031
Take an Online Course from the safety and comfort of your own home or office.
Click to Browse our Courses
Contact us: +254 712 260 031
Do you want to learn how to build a web based GIS application using free and open source GIS? If so, this course is for you. Once you have this skill your server will display raster, vector and attribute information and perform spatial analysis and database queries over the Internet.
GIS are systems that are designed to capture, store, check, and display data that is related to positions on the Earth’s surface. GIS technology can be used to show many types of geographical data on the map in order to enable people observe, analyze, and understand various patterns as well as their relationships. For example, using GIS, you can include a map that shows sites with the highest pollution or sites that are sensitive to pollution.
The increasing flexibility of GIS technologies means that they can be used in almost every field imaginable and by people from all walks of life. With adequate training, both non-GIS and GIS experts can reap more benefits and realize the immense applicability of GIS technologies in daily life. GIS is particularly beneficial to those working in e-government, e-business, and e-science fields.
· You will learn how to install Geoserver,
· Load GIS data into Geoserver
· Serve vector, raster, and attribute data on the Internet with Geoserver
· Serve data stored in Postgres and PostGIS on the Internet
· Create a client based browser application using OpenLayers 3.0
· Create an application that allows client and server interaction with GIS data.
Who should attend?
This course is most suitable for non-GIS users and experts, Geographers, IT experts, cartographers, geoscientist, surveyors, planners, software engineers, database administrators, system administrators, M&E experts, and GIS beginners.
Module 1 - Web Mapping Technologies
· Introductions to concepts of GIS and web mapping
· Understanding key concepts in Web mapping
· Exploring QGIS as an open source software
· OGC web mapping Standards
· Types of web mapping Technology and their evolution
· Understanding Free and Open Source Software and its use in web mapping
· Finding and sharing web maps on CartoDB
· Web GIS development cycle
· System architecture for web mapping
· Understanding spatial databases
· Tiled web map
· WMS service
· Java script
· Write a page using HTML and CSS
Designing web services and maps
· Analytic web maps
· Elements of a web map
· Collaborative web maps
· Animated and real time
· Static web maps
Reading Data from various Data source
· Reading Points from an XML file
· Converting shape files to XML
· Geocoding and reverse geocording
· Adding Side bars
· Using Fusion Table as Data source
· Mapping your own data
Processing spatial data with Open Source Software
· Processing raster data set with QGIS and GDAL
· Understanding data formats for use in web mapping
· Geo-processing and projecting vector data with QGIS and OGR
· Processing spatial data with Free Open source Software
Drawing and querying maps on the server using Web Map Service
· Dynamically drawn map services
· Basic and advanced symbolization and styling with a WMS
· Introduction to basics of Open specifications for web map services and WMS specification
Building tiled maps with Free Open Source Software
· Making the decision to build and maintain tiles
· Introduction to Concepts of tiled maps
· Creating tiles with GeoServer using GeoWebCache
· Strategies for creating and serving map tiles
· Creating tiles with Mapnik using TileMill
Module 4 - Putting layers together by the use of a web mapping API and Google Maps API
· Introduction to web mapping API
· Overlaying WMS on tiled maps with OpenLayers
· Examining OpenLayers examples
· Programming patterns with web mapping APIs
· Introduction to google maps
· Adding Makers to Google maps
· Creating Custom Web maps without programming
· Building Google maps/ customization
· Orientation to Google maps API
Web based data editing
· Working with vector KML
· Drawing vector layers on the client side
· Symbolizing vector layers in OpenLayers
· Working with GeoJSON
· GIS analysis on the web
· Adding interactive GeoJSON layers in OpenLayers
Exploring open data, VGI, and crowdsourcing
· Ways of opening data
· OpenStreetMap and its application in open data
· VGI and crowd sourced projects
· Downloading source data from OpenStreetMap
· Mapping social media data
Publishing maps using open source software (Geoserver)
· Overview Geoserver
· Installing and configuring Geoserver
· Setting up Geosever
· The Geoserver Interface
· Data querying in Geoserver
· All our courses can be Tailor-made to participants needs
· The participant must be conversant with English
· Presentations are well guided, practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are expert with more than 10years of experience.
· Upon completion of training the participant will be issued with Foscore Development Center certificate (FDC-K)
· Training will be done at Foscore Development Center (FDC-K) center in Nairobi Kenya. We also offer more than five participants training at requested location within Kenya, more than ten participants within east Africa and more than twenty participants all over the world.
· Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
· The course fee includes facilitation training materials, 2 coffee breaks, buffet lunch and a Certificate of successful completion of Training. Participants will be responsible for their own travel expenses and arrangements, airport transfers, visa application dinners, health/accident insurance and other personal expenses.
· Accommodation, pickup, freight booking and Visa processing arrangement, are done on request, at discounted prices.
· One year free Consultation and Coaching provided after the course.
· Register as a group of more than two and enjoy discount of (10% to 50%)
· Payment should be done two week before commence of the training, to FOSCORE DEVELOPMENT CENTER account, so as to enable us prepare better for you.
Start Date: 08/06/2020
Duration: 10 Days
Cost: USD 2,000, KES 140,000
Register (as Individual)
Register for (Online Training)
Register (as a Group)
Advanced Web-based Mapping Applications using Open Source GIS Tools Course
Software: Geoserver, Postgres, and Openlayers
Cost: USD 2,000, KES 140,000
Start Date: 30/03/2020
View Course Content
Start Date: 08/06/2020
Start Date: 17/08/2020
Start Date: 26/10/2020
Our goal is to deliver professional, practical, educational and cultivated training solutions aimed at bettering the performance of
individuals and groups within the organization